About Me

My photo
I am a mother of one with a background in public relations and communications, and a degree in Psychology. Before becoming a mom I was very career focused and traveled across Canada working for the Canadian Forces before moving to a job with the Yukon government in order to settle down. This blog is about my transition from working bee to full-time mom and maybe back again. It's also about what it means to be a mom and a home maker.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Doing it mom's way

One of the nice things about traveling alone with Kaitlyn is that we're doing things that we probably wouldn't if Keith was here with us. For example, yesterday one of the local shopping centers was having a craft day so we went down to string leis and make Kukui nut bracelets. While I was doing that, one of the volunteers, a nice grannie type, whisked Kaitlyn away and had her plucking away at a ukulele along with some men that were playing. This is definitely a unique experience and I don't think Keith would have been up for craft day. Even if he was, people seem more open to approaching us and offering to hold her or help out when I'm on my own, which makes for her meeting a lot of new people, which she loves.

Later on we went on a tour of an old store at the historical society and then visited the City of Refuge and the Painted Church. I'll be posting a full review of baby friendly activities closer to the end of the trip but it's safe to say that so far she is definitely getting experiences that simply aren't possible in Whitehorse, and so am I. Apart from one rough day things are going great and I'm steeling myself for a long car ride to Hilo next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment