About Me

My photo
I am a mother of one with a background in public relations and communications, and a degree in Psychology. Before becoming a mom I was very career focused and traveled across Canada working for the Canadian Forces before moving to a job with the Yukon government in order to settle down. This blog is about my transition from working bee to full-time mom and maybe back again. It's also about what it means to be a mom and a home maker.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A tipping point

Last night at the grocery store we had one of those moments that, I hope, will define parenthood for us. Normally, if we all end up at the grocery store I'll take Kaitlyn to the toy section while Keith does the checkout. Beside the toys are the paper towels. Stacked high with spaces between, it turns out that they make the perfect labyrinth of towers for an 18-month old.

As we were leaving the store, Kaitlyn ducked into the paper towel maze. And that was the moment. Tired after a stressful day of work and eager to get everyone fed, I could have easily marched in, picked her up and insisted we go home. Or, as her mischievous face peeked out from the first tower, I could choose to join in the game of hide-and-peek, which is what we did. For at least two minutes we all ducked in and out of the paper towel tower maze, Kaitlyn giggling and shrieking all the while. At one point she even pulled me in to her little space to hide from dad with her. It set the tone for a night full of laughter for all of us and I guarantee I'll never wish that we had gotten home two minutes earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment