About Me

My photo
I am a mother of one with a background in public relations and communications, and a degree in Psychology. Before becoming a mom I was very career focused and traveled across Canada working for the Canadian Forces before moving to a job with the Yukon government in order to settle down. This blog is about my transition from working bee to full-time mom and maybe back again. It's also about what it means to be a mom and a home maker.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Potty training false alarm!

Kaitlyn's fascination with the potty has been short-lived. After two sessions of pooping on the floor because she doesn't want to actually sit on it for more than a few seconds, I'm going to declare that the move into potty training was a false alarm. I can't help but sigh with relief because I wasn't quite ready to go there yet. Not only have I not done a single bit of reading on the subject, I just don't feel like I'm up to the challenge of reinforcing these habits yet. We'll keep the potty in the bathroom, where I manage to trip on it daily, and see how she does with it later on. At this point, familiarity is good enough for me.

In other news, we had a house full of stomach flu this weekend. I was the last to get it, last night, so I get a sick day all to myself at home. I should mention that for me, flu means just feeling nauseous and tired, rather than actually getting sick. For Kaitlyn and Keith, it means, well, what flu usually means. Arguably, I could have suffered through a day of work but after a weekend of dealing with a sick household, I could really use the rest.

Eleven of the kids at Kaitlyn's daycare also reported having flu over the weekend, which makes me want to pull her out of there asap. Some people argue that daycare is a great way for kids to get exposed to all the germs so that they build up immunity, but I call BS on that one. I didn't go to daycare once in my life and I have great immunity. It's rare that I actually get sick and when I do, it's not nearly as severe as it seems to be for everyone else. Hopefully, they don't all pass it back to each other again today.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the daycare thing. For us, it has been a non-stop parade of disgusting illnesses, including rotavirus (after his very first day!), roseola, hand foot & mouth disease, and countless nasty colds and flus.

    I actually think it is *very* taxing on their developing immune systems to be sick so often and so badly at such a young age. Yes, children need to be exposed to germs in order to build immune function, but this is something that is intended to happen in a controlled and gradual manner. Daycare, on the other hand, is more like a continuous, all-out assault.

    ReplyDelete