About Me

My photo
I am a mother of one with a background in public relations and communications, and a degree in Psychology. Before becoming a mom I was very career focused and traveled across Canada working for the Canadian Forces before moving to a job with the Yukon government in order to settle down. This blog is about my transition from working bee to full-time mom and maybe back again. It's also about what it means to be a mom and a home maker.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

A visit with grandpa

I realize it's been ten days since I updated this blog and I apologize, but Kaitlyn had a really nice visit from grandpa last weekend and I couldn't tear myself away from watching them bond.

When Kaitlyn was born I was shocked at how much of a softie my dad became. In fact, he started getting protective the first time I went to visit my parents while pregnant. He wouldn't let me go shooting because the sound might scare the baby. And after she was born it just got worse (well, better really, I love it). She can do absolutely no wrong in his eyes. When I was visiting with her at three months, he was the one to get out of bed laughing at 4 am when I was threatening to throw her out the window because she refused to sleep. And when it came time for her first birthday party, he and Keith took charge of the decorations and cleaning up the house.

This visit, grandpa jumped in to play with Kaitlyn every chance he got. I could see them growing closer as the weekend went by and it warmed my heart every time I saw them laughing together. This isn't the relationship that I had with my dad when I was younger and I've never seen him have so much patience and tolerance with someone, but maybe that's the difference between being a parent and being a grandparent.

When some visitors leave, you sigh with relief that the pressure of having a guest is over with and your life can return to normal. When my dad left this week, I wished we had booked him a longer trip and I just hoped he'd be able to visit both his little girls again soon.


Kaitlyn teaches grandpa how to colour on her new dry erase crayon board (his idea!)


Kaitlyn and grandpa enjoying the Yukon Sourdough Rendezvous festival.


No comments:

Post a Comment