About Me

My photo
I am a mother of one with a background in public relations and communications, and a degree in Psychology. Before becoming a mom I was very career focused and traveled across Canada working for the Canadian Forces before moving to a job with the Yukon government in order to settle down. This blog is about my transition from working bee to full-time mom and maybe back again. It's also about what it means to be a mom and a home maker.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Singing solo after all

So it seems that I'm getting a second chance to try my hand at singing solo in the choir, or rather as a duet. I got the part! I'll be singing the opening to Memory along with one of our other, more experienced choir members. I'm super excited but not as much as I think I would have been if I had done better at the audition and felt like a really deserved it.

As it turns out, the girl who blew me away during the audition studied voice in university and has aspirations of singing opera professionally. She isn't singing this part with me but she has many other solo parts in the show. And that's the beautiful thing about a community choir, you get all types of experience and you don't have to be the best to get a chance to shine.

True to my word, I'm investing in voice lessons and had my first one last week, with the aspiring opera singer. I had a great time and gained a lot of confidence just in that first short hour. And I know that I wouldn't be putting this effort in if I hadn't both done poorly and then gotten the part, an opportunity to prove myself. Thanks to our very understanding choir director for that!

Happy lessons learned this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment